Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

In honor of Earth Day today, I thought I'd add a list of ideas for greening your routine-ing. I made that rhyme. How cool is that?

1. Cloth diapering - I've been doing it for about four years (and two kids) off and on (mostly on), and we've saved a ton of money - not to mention the environmental impact.

2. Open windows for light during the day.

3. Try these homemade household cleaners and cosmetics:

4. Walk, use public transportation, or try cycling to get around from time to time to save gas.

5. Try to use thrift stores, Craigslist, Freecycle, Cheapcycle, Ebay, and other second hand shops for making purchases.

6. For the women - consider trying the Diva Cup, or a similar product. I've been using mine off and on for a couple years, and I've just gotten the hang of it. I love it!

7. Replace your household light bulbs with energy efficient, environmentally friendly bulbs.

8. Watch your water usage. There's many ways to do this:

  • Try to limit your shower time. Try setting a timer and see if you can shave a few minutes off. A little bit makes a big difference.
  • You can also try limiting the frequency of your showers. I now shower about 2-3 times a week, depending on how dirty I get. Even cutting out one shower a week will save a lot of water. My hair has adjusted to the wash routine, and there are a lot of ways to "touch up" between showers. It's amazing what you can do with a sink full of soapy water and a washcloth.
  • Watch how much you flush - if it's yellow, it's mellow, if it's brown, flush it down.
  • If you're in the market for a new washer, consider a high efficiency, front loading machine. They save both water and energy.
  • Turn the water off when you brush your teeth, shave, lather up, shampoo your hair, soap up your hands, etc.
9. Avoid drive thru food and coffees. You can bring food and coffee with you and save money and waste.

10. Donate! If you have items in good condition, donate them to your local thrift store or see if you can sell them on Craigslist or Ebay.

11. Recycle! If you don't have curbside pick up, you can arrange a weekly trip to the recycling center as a family. This is a great way to teach your kids about recycling, if you're a parent.

12. Upcycle! The web is full of ideas for upcycling old clothing, fabric scraps, furniture, and more! Here's one I'm dying to try. It's a pillow chair made from old t-shirts and scrap foam.


I think I'll end for now. Happy Earth Day!

No comments: